Adoption: Quickest way for users to get payment pointer

We are building features for our website that allow post authors and commenters to share micropayments. We are therefore trying to make it as easy as possible for them to get their own wallet/payment pointer and get started. The wallet providers we’ve looked at so far have fairly slow/indefinite KYC periods, patchy support/documentation, problematic user interfaces – all in all, we find this is likely to be one of the biggest blockers to adoption.

Can anyone recommend a very fast and smooth way for users to get a payment pointer that they can then use on our platform. Something like Metamask for Ethereum addresses would be better.

Thanks,
Matt

2 Likes

Hi @malina

Its a common problem we have heard about the ecosystem. Next week we will have an announcement about a faster way to get started. I cant give all the details yet, but the goal is you will be able to get a payment pointer within a few minutes.

Matt

2 Likes

That’s so cool! This is something that interests me and my project as well.

1 Like

We are launching a magazine in March with 10+ contributors. Right now I basically did a personal KYC and made a single payment pointer for the whole project, and the plan is to send the (personal) balance over to our Open Collective on some schedule. Not a long-term solution :slight_smile:

Looking forward to the announcement!

1 Like

Hi @matdehaast – any news on this? We are very keen to see what the prospects here are. We would probably redesign significant parts of our project around this.

Thanks!

1 Like

@malina We wanted to do some extra polish before we opened it up. I don’t want to commit to an exact date right now but to say its within the next couple of weeks.

@benhylau thats an interesting use case. I don’t think what we have fully solves that but will make all the contributors have an easier mechanism to get their own Payment Pointer.

If there is demand for this use case this could be something we explore in future product iterations.

matt

Open Collective’s “fiscal hosting as a service” can be a good layer to help tackle these problems, especially for the fiat-deposit case where the cryptocurrency is just used as internal piping. We are experimenting with this and I’ll write more about this in our grant report.