Advertising and The Grant

Hi team,

I found this site due to Ken Melendez’s Ripple Pulse on Coil today and I’m super curious about it all. I’ve read through a lot of the info on this site, but please excuse me if this question has been answered elsewhere and I’ve missed it.

The whole point of The Grant and the Monetization API is to distribute payments to content creators, which is amazing and something I absolutely want to be a part of. Coil.com is a little bit life changing… but I’m curious to know whether a site that would take advertising dollars and distribute to all the content creators on the site would be eligible for The Grant… or is The Grant primarily looking for membership type websites/apps that redistribute value from consumers to creators?

I’m honestly happy with either answer, I’m trying to figure out how to best pivot a project I’m currently working on.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi everyone! I was really hoping to get some insight from the team on this… it will help determine the direction my new project should head in.

Please let me know if you need more information on this.

Thanks!

1 Like

@Chris_Lawrence ?

1 Like

Hello, sorry for the delay in responding. We don’t see any of this as a zero sum game, have to choose between different revenue streams. So short answer is no, accepting advertising does not block possible funding. What we more envision in the early stages of the fund is that it allows content providers with a way to experiment with how you can lessen the reliance on ads and provide perhaps a non-ad experience to people who are paying via web monetization. What we value is creativity and a willingness to experiment with different models. Does that make sense?

3 Likes

Thanks so much Chris! I really appreciate your thoughts here.
You totally make sense and you’ve provided the answer I was absolutely hoping for. Since I initially asked this question, I’ve decided to pursue a non-advertising business model for the MVP of my project, but I’m really excited that we’d have some flexibility if we found it wasn’t working for us.

Really excited to see where we all end up in this space.
Thanks again for your reply, I really appreciate it.

Thanks Ken for the tag and help!

2 Likes