Are unlicensed fans translators eligible to apply for Grant for the Web?

Hello.

I recently start experimenting with revenue sharing using a javascript library that I made (https://github.com/ProgNovel/fundme) and recently got some Asian web novel fans translators joining me.

There’s actually a vibrant community that dedicated on translating Chinese, Japanese, and Korean web novels, and some companies, especially Chinese ones, are sometimes recruit these fans translators to work for them (one example is https://www.webnovel.com which is actually a child company of a child company of Chinese’s Tencent group.)

I’ve told several people in the community about Web Monetization API but some are skeptic about its prospect against ads revenue that they’re already familiar with. This is actually made harder for me to rope in people, unless I can convince them to join me that there’s an immediate benefit for them (from around 6 groups that I contacted only one responded and joined).

Fans translators that recently joining me work on Chinese web novels unofficially, but I plan also to recruit original indie authors with me. I’m wondering if unofficial translated works made by fans translators is eligible to apply for the grant.

Thanks.

EDIT:
Sorry, but apparently I posted the thread under wrong category… fixed it now

1 Like

Being one guilty of reading such wuxia light novels, I have to say the compensation model is NOT incompatible with the current patronage system, most frequently Patreon, the latter is effectively a variant of Street Performers Protocol (threshold pledge). Coil implements effectively a payforward and drawdown method. Instead of piece by piece author by author, you commit to $X/month, effectively a book series or reading club business model, and the precise author is credited when you settle the numbers at the end of the month. So you can have differential pricing where authors get direct kudos from dedicated fans, once reaching a threshold, it goes to your book club via web monetarisation, then after a suitable period of time, it may be made available to a broader audience who can tolerate the annoyware ads. The book club could avoid some of the fights amongst the wuxia redistributors who have economic incentive to crib off others which make available the material and whinge about losing advertising clickthru.

So @RadhyR, since I’m preparing another technical submission, I can’t join with yours (apparently funders limit to one per technical or content stream) but I would be happy to give feed back on your submission on how to back-integrate with Patreon and other patronage systems, plus thoughts on RMB conversion (legally still tricky tricky and subject to heavy handed administrative action). I can see that if you really add value (eg Soundscapes or music background) more people would drive to your site and you’d get a larger percentage of the bookclub subscriptions.

Oh, I didn’t mean to replace Patreon or ads immediately. In fact, integrating Patreon and PayPal is currently on my roadmap. It just that by highlighting Web Monetization API that people seem to be skeptical about its future, they just don’t see the idea why spreading $5/month subscription would work in a community that already get used to read free contents.

Coil subscription in my platform is for those who want to support community (the open and ability to share revenue) rather than individual creators, as premium experience subscribers get directly from creators at most 1~2 advanced chapters each novels. But what it truly does the most is unlocking platform features that normally locked for free readers. Beside ads-free experience (which is obvious), there are also features like theme picker and the ability to read chapters with infinite scroll instead of classic one chapter per page layout, and I’ve been toying with the idea to introduce custom comment system to add Discord’s Nitro-like subscription system that provide myriads of emojis for Coil subscribers to use. I’m also originally planned to including offline reading to the list, since my platform already a full-blown Progressive Web App, but apparently it seems Web Monetization API is currently unable to compensate creators when users consume their contents offline, so I probably move that to paywall/patron system.

In early development I’m looking to see to recruit translators group from NovelUpdates because due to NU’s reading list features, readers tend to hop from websites to websites, so many websites have struggled to convert readers to loyal Patreon supporters. One example of this is KobatoChan group that, despite has pinned a post announcing their Patreon for almost 4 years, currently only has 2 patrons supporting them (sadly, KobatoChan owner rejected my offer when I approached him). For content creators to succeed in their ventures of publishing contents with Patreon, they need to create a brand and community around their websites first, which is very hard for those that rely on NovelUpdates’ referral link to succeed.

Fans translation community actually is a good use case for Web Monetization API to get implemented, actually. Besides the open but weak branding I said in my opinion above, translators most of the time also work in a group, even in a random small websites’ comment section you can find strangers offer to contribute as editors/proofreaders. It’s a breeding ground for revenue sharing experiment.

Anyway, I’m grateful if you can give feedback to my project, though I’m currently haven’t decided whether to submit the platform or the javascript library that I used for the grant. You can check out the project I’m talking about at https://prognovel-staging.netlify.com/, and please note that the website is only a demo, as many features still haven’t been developed and the demo novel is a public domain work that I copy-paste’d from the internet (I’m planning to change the demo novel but haven’t found a suitable work to showcase). The website is a JAMstack site that I hosted on Netlify, so I can host dozens of those for free for Webnovel creators who are looking for good, free websites.