Coming soon: An opportunity for creators and technologists

Grant for the Web’s first public call for proposals will open soon – we’re aiming for April 2020.

This first request for projects seeks to address the problem of the web’s business model and how it negatively impacts independent creators and publishers. (Read more.)

We believe that better business models can be built within the very fabric of the web itself, starting with the browser. The grant will fund innovation using an open technology stack featuring the Web Monetization standard and the Interledger Protocol to build monetization natively into the web.

Our first public call for proposals will have two tracks:

• A Foundational Technology track to support technology, tools, and infrastructure that innovate around the Web Monetization standard and the Interledger Protocol.
  • A Creative Catalyst track to support experiments in the creation, distribution, and discoverability of content monetized using the Web Monetization standard and the Interledger Protocol.

Initial grants will award variable amounts for projects up to six months in duration. We will be specifically looking for projects that demonstrate experimentation with strong potential for further innovation beyond the life of the grant. Foundational Technology experiments should innovate around the technology itself: building plugins, APIs, and templates for monetizing the web. Content Catalyst experiments should use existing web monetization technology to explore the creation, distribution, and discoverability of content online.

Not all experiments must succeed! We seek to fund creative prototyping and iterative learning in order to build a healthy, vibrant ecosystem of web monetized tools, content, and resources.

Stay tuned for more information and sign up for our email list to receive the application form when the call for proposals opens.

14 Likes

Fantastic move!

@erika … is there a possible conflict of interest if I allocated some funds to support an intern who works at a Mozilla devshop? Its just that the guy who wrote one of the w3c media streaming standards is a mate of mine who works for Mozilla so whilst I’m going to be directing the technolegal aspects, I wanted to place a coder with him for integration with Firefox. Since Mozilla Foundation is ???partner??? for Coil, would my proposal be rejected on grounds of conflict of interests?

@drllau Right now we don’t see working with a Mozilla intern as a disqualifier but we will have explicit guidelines on this when the call for proposals opens.

@erika

u submitted my email to be notified, but didnt receive an email like the page said i would?

does that simply mean im already registered or whatever?

@falez I checked the list and you’ve already signed up.

For others with the same question: If you enter your email after you’ve already signed up, you don’t receive a second confirmation message.

1 Like

@erika What if a proposal addresses both tracks?

Tipalink offers a plugin and API for accepting tips on web pages by their address, or “link”. I could update them to support Web Monetization, thus meeting the Foundational Technology requirements.

Tipalink builds a database of registered links, both those that have been tipped and any that a user chooses to pre-register for accepting tips. I could update the link registration process to identify and keep track of links that are Web Monetized. Then I could publish them like a searchable index on the site, fulfilling the Creative Catalyst requirements for distribution and discoverability.

Should I submit one proposal and indicate my intention to do both? Or should I pick one? Or should I submit two separate proposals, each addressing one track only?

compilation (of data) is not the same as creativity, esp wrt international Intellectual Property norms (at best considered a neighbouring right to copyright). Now if you combined in novel ways with other data and presented in a visually pleasing manner that’s closer to novel data presentation (Layer 6 protocol)

My proposal for the Creative Catalyst track as initially described above would be targeting distribution and discoverability. There was no claim made towards the creativity requirement, nor that compilation is somehow equivalent to creativity (?).

However, since you brought it up, it would actually foster creativity insofar as providing an incentive to create more Web Monetized pages to appear in the searchable index. I believe that aligns with the spirit of the track.

Further, if I also updated Tipalink to support Web Monetization (as per the Foundational Technology proposal), then anyone could create a Tipalink Profile page that is monetized using Web Monetization.

@tipalink you will only be able to apply to one track. We’ll provide more specifics about each track when the call for proposals opens.

1 Like