Hi from the Program Team!

:wave: I’m Erika. I help run the Grant for the Web program.

13 Likes

Hi! I’m Christine and I work with @erika on the Program Team. You can learn more about what we do here: https://grantfortheweb.org/post/program-team

9 Likes

Hi, I’m Bruce - I help people set up Web Monetization on their websites, and advise the Program Team. Ask me anything!

12 Likes

Dees here. I love the web. And I want content creators to be fairly remunerated for their works. I’m especially excited about the crazy, cool and whacky ideas that folks come up with 100+20 Content while monetizing their creations.

You should follow me, @cyberdees on Twitter.

9 Likes

Hello! I am Chris and I am on the Program Team along with my other colleagues here. I am excited to be part of this project because I am passionate about supporting a vibrant network of creative cobtent creators and making the internet healthier.

8 Likes

Hello @erika, Christine, Bruce, cyberdees and Chris_Lawrence!

I am the founder of @OpenDomain - we are “open source for domains”. We have given domains worth millions o open source groups and non-profits for more than 20 years - including some to Mozilla and W3C. We are VERY interested in Grant for the Web.

We have been working on some proof of concepts for a few years dealing with syndication, copyrights, security, and encryption. I have a serious question: does a project have to implement Coil or other crypto currency in order to receive a grant?

I also have done some work on crypto as the founder of CharityCoin - the world’s first bitcoin charity, so I do believe it is valuable, but I am not sure it is required to help make the web better.

7 Likes

Hello everyone!, I’m Marvin Danig from Washington D.C. So excited to be here!

My partner and I have been working on a native book format for the web so that people can publish codex style books on web for children like comics, longform textbooks, novels or any other form of literature in any language. So far about 600 books have been published using Bookiza Abelone—the book reification framework that we have built using the format.

Our current focus is on implementation of responsive scenarios (templates) for the different type of stylistic choices that come along with paginated storytelling—while also keeping in mind scalability and accessibility challenges of web pages across the spectrum of devices. I welcome you to scroll by sometime to look at the books created by our community!

Now coming to the point of this post:

Do you think our project will be suitable for a grant from Mozilla? Thank you so much for this initiative!

5 Likes

Hi Grant for the Web Program Team, thanks for commencing this great project. We have been following Coil since its inception and are very excited for the potential to really empower content creators. I am one of the co-founders of www.mannabase.com which is providing a social dividend to all users for their participation to encourage inspiring content creation. We look forward to working with you all in the near future.

2 Likes

Hi @erika, @bruce, Christine, cyberdees, Chris_Lawrence

I am the founder of Burner Connect, I posted about the system I already created, please see below.

Please reach out to me when you have a moment for a serious chat.
Gary@burnerconnect.com

Kind Regards
Gary

1 Like

Thanks for reaching out. Eligible projects will not be mandated to use Coil or crypto-currency. Projects will need to utilize or innovate on open web monetization standards. There will be more details as we release open calls for proposals and highlight examples.

5 Likes

@Chris_Lawrence, Whats your estimated month you will be open to accept proposals? I am just finishing a pitch deck and ready to take the project to the next stage, want to see if its realistic to wait around.

2 Likes

Hello Marvin,

One point of clarification, these will not be Mozilla grants. Mozilla is an advisor and collaborator. The funds will be from Grant for the Web and funded by Coil.

As for your project idea, it is to early to know if it will be suitable, but my first read is that it you should definitely be following along with news and updates we will have. There will be multiple calls for proposals over the course of the program that have specific and targeted focuses. As well as lots of ways to collaborate and workshop projects as we mature.

More info here (and we will be updating FAQ over next few months) https://www.grantfortheweb.org/faq

5 Likes

Hi! Great to meet you!

2 Likes

Our first open call for proposals will be early 2020, with a planned series of calls from then on going forward. Thanks for your interest.

3 Likes

Hi Everyone on the Program Team,

I am a choreographer and mobile filmmaker based in Glasgow Scotland.

I am looking to find new ways to monetise those dance artists working in the online space, and establish a new platform for dance online, where none exists at present.

I wrote a bit more about myself here:

4 Likes

Hey, Erika. I’ve just joined.

4 Likes

Hello!

My name is Kerri. I’m a technologist & PhD student focusing on trust & online behavior. I’m excited for this initiative. New monetization strategies are key to changing how data is used (and is being abused). I’m looking forward to getting involved and getting to know others in this community.

7 Likes

Hi, I’m McCaffrey, I’m the editor of IYP. We are running a Chinese website about digital rights and security: iyouport.org, we have a good reputation in Mandarin-speaking areas.

6 Likes

Hey, Kerri

Great to have you as part of this new community. Online privacy and security is a subject close to my heart, too, & we often write about news around them on our websites.

Sorab Ghaswalla

4 Likes

Here’s how my website reported this news story…
https://www.whatsnewonthenet.com/blog/grant-for-the-web/

Thanks

S

3 Likes