Knowledge Map for the Coronavirus

I am building a platform for Massive Online Research that enables researchers to build large-scale online knowledge maps.

We are gauging interest for a Massive Online Research Collaboration on the Coronavirus that would connect researchers and enable knowledge sharing across boundaries and languages.

Does anyone now if there is anything already out there like this?

1 Like

Daveed,
Take a look at Fast.AI and Jeremy Howard

I will thanks @Evo

Being an ex-academic, I note that most international collaborative R&D efforts are based on individual peer networking. What you are asking for is
a) open-innovation of experts (hard to gather the diversity with waning interest)
b) systems biology (hard problem since tools still emerging)
c) relying on black swan events to build interest (including financial crowd-funding)

So you run the risk of building something that nobody wants to use. Let’s look at the roadblocks

• modern medical science is highly capital intensive, which means the first vaccine is expensive but the marginal cost of the 2nd is much, much less … and epidemics tend to fall under public health ie govt funded rather than private R&D
  • Intellectual property … a lot of expertise is locked up in corporate strongholds so even if medical scientists are willing, PHB might forbid participation
  • knowledge representation, how to store what we know about the biological world in a form which can be reasoned with, not easy when we come to epigenetics

My suggestion (coming back to monetarisation) is to build a public commons of biological models at different scales with a cost function for specific microservices which would execute a Docker simulation container somewhere. You have effectively a public directory which promotes model interoperability, the actual IP can be in the container or data input and hence clear ownership and thus monetary compensation, which under the right circumstances (chaotic domain), can be aggregated onto a supercomputer for rapid deployment (global bounty for reducing death toll).

Hi @drllau, the system that you are suggesting is very interesting and potentially impactful for primary research on how to stop and prevent the Coronavirus.

The focus on the project that I am suggesting is mapping secondary research about COVID19. Aligned with the UN’s SDG 17, we propose a “global technology facilitation mechanism“ that enhances cooperation on and access to science, technology and innovation as well as knowledge sharing.

Would love your further reflection regarding this clarification.

Having made proposals to Asian Development Bank for a central repository, my conclusion is that traditional NGO and its like are not suited for tech facilitation on a mass scale. Simply because the teeth:tummy:tail ratio is too lope-sided in favor of bureacratic administration. What you can start off with is a Wikipedia plus a way for individuals to contribute resources (say GPU cycles or terabyte year storage) for molecular modelling (which then ties into the monetarisation focus of the proposal). So you got scientists contributing data (as recorded on the wiki) in return for raw power to do genetic or molecular simulations (advancing their research). You then have a more sophisticated moderation policy (cf the badge system on this site) to allow citizen informed peer review (rather than conspiracy theories) to be promoted. I suggest you start off with a narrow objective (to avoid scope explosion) and slowly over time extend to other STEM subdomains.

Going back to your original intent, what about a wiki to say undergrad level of interpretation of primary material (which can be rather estoric without biomed jargon mastery) focusing on science communicators as your primary audience?

Considering the interest in COVID-19. Do check out and contribute to the Tech Handbook:

Thanks that is helpful