One-time payments, or ways of paying content creators without encouraging system exploitation

I run routinehub.co, and I’m toying with the idea of using the web monetization API (possibly via Coil) to support the site and also content creators. The only problem is, I don’t want to reward content creators for time spent on their page, I want to reward them for each legitimate link hit. If I were to reward based on time, content creators might just create huge pages in order to keep people there, or make their content (in this case iOS Shortcuts) intentionally complicated so that they have to visit their page on RoutineHub for longer periods of time.

I was thinking of using Coil and limiting the amount of time that they are able to monetize from a visitor. But I’m not sure if that would be helpful or not. I also thought about distributing funds at the end of each month based on download counts (Spotify-style), but I don’t want to encourage content creators to find ways of gaming the system in order to earn more.

Thoughts?

4 Likes

Hello,

This is an interesting topic. Currently I wouldn’t see the value of limiting that time via Coil as it goes against their tool. Let me ask you this, how much do you care people might game the system a bit? At this early stage in this technology seeing how people hack around might actually be interesting. But I also see your point and many people are asking similar questions. This is why I think first looking at the WM open standard and seeing how that might be used adapted to the kinds of pay-out methods you talk about is an interesting step. We hope to fund these kinds of technology experiments on the different methods/business models over the next two years to better help the emerging ecosystem figure these solutions out. Have you discussed possibilities with developers yet how the WM standard might be adapted to your ideas?

1 Like

It’s just me running RoutineHub at the moment. I’ve considered looking into the WM standard further and possibly building a “membership” that works across all of my sites. But it still doesn’t solve the problem of how to pay content creators in a manner that doesn’t encourage them to game the system.

Although, I do agree that it could be a good experiment to see what happens. My main concern is the the quality of content going downhill.

However, someone else I was talking to mentioned that even videos might be made longer in order to get that extra time in. I can see many ways that it could be difficult.

I want to reward them for each legitimate link hit

Can you clarify what you mean by this? Each Shortcut page load on your site (e.g. https://routinehub.co/shortcut/571)? Or each download sourced from your site?

What is the source of payments for your content creators? You/your site, or those visiting your site?

You could give those visiting your site the power to help support the content creators by leaving tips for each Shortcut (or their profile page) by using Tipalink: https://www.tipalink.com/. If you’d prefer not to install the Tipalink Plugin, you could use our API (currently in beta).

You could also potentially use Tipalink to keep a giant tab for the site for paying all your creators, which could be built up using an algorithm. For example, for every page load you could add tip of $0.05 for that url; for every download $0.25; and for every “like” $0.50. Then pay each creator at the end of the month for the “tips” aggregated. You could keep the algorithm opaque, to limit gaming of the system. Just a thought.

2 Likes

Can you clarify what you mean by this?

Yes, I meant each download.

The source of payments would preferably come directly from the visitors.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but rom what I’ve gathered so far, Tipalink is a manual fmethod of paying a content creator. I’m definitely looking for something more subscription-based.

I have thought about the “giant tab” method, but I’m not particularly interested in keeping the payment algorithm a secret. I like to be fully transparent to my users. So that can be a bit difficult.

Also, do you have link to the API docs? I can’t seem to find them on your site. Thanks!

Yes, Tipalink is not subscription based. I haven’t published the API docs because the API is still in beta and I haven’t finished writing them yet! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I can send you a working draft if you’d be interested in trying it out, or I could let you know when it’s complete?

I can send you a working draft if you’d be interested in trying it out, or I could let you know when it’s complete?

I would love to see a working draft to understand more of what you’re doing!

ok, send me a message using the contact form at https://www.tipalink.com/contact and i’ll email you a working draft. cheers!

You can learn more by reading the API Docs at https://www.tipalink.com/docs/api/.