Podcast and music site utilizing Web Monetization

I’ve been considering starting a podcast to place additional content into my Coil articles. I then had the idea of designing a site that allows podcasters and musicians to post their content and get paid when WM subscribers view their content. Would anyone be interested in possibly collaborating on this or just joining the platform as an artist or podcaster?

3 Likes

I’d definitely be interested in any capacity that is helpful to you Ken.

2 Likes

Musicoin project already does it. Maybe you have to cooperate with Musicoin team and create togather one perfect product…

cheers

2 Likes

Obsolutely join Musicoin and share your podcast directly on the Grant
take a look

@metkram and @Lorenzo, I took a look at that project and see that they are using their own blockchain and tokens. I was wanting to create a service using the proposed Web Monetization API standard. Thing is, I don’t know how much demand there is in the market for such a site. Just an idea, I’m sure there will be others.

3 Likes

imo, if there’s already exist place where musicians and podcasters could upload its work and get pay per play, we have to togather improve this place rather than creat new one

1 Like

He Ken, there have been and still are a few initiatives looking into this. It’s possible of course from a technical point of view. The challenging part (for podcasters and musicians) is to find a good balance between the available monetization models and agreements they might have with 3rd parties. And of course the curation of rights. It’s not hard to imagine how a person can create a wallet and account on several wm-enabled sites and upload content not owned or managed by them to generate (steal) cash. Which eventually will kill the initiative of helping artists to monetize their content.

Finding the balance:
a) End-user might be willing to pay for listening but with major content providers trying to win eyeballs it’s a race to the bottom (subscription models going from $10 to $5 to zero) so the content should be appealing to a specific audience and dirt cheap.
b) Rightsholders should be aware that saying “yes” to web monetization means (in many cases) saying “no” to other business models (digital exclusive publishing and distribution deals). Not a problem but they will not jump ship if the conditions are unclear or the reward is vague / just a few bucks a month.
c) The most successful companies in digital (streaming) music actually make their money from anything else than music :slight_smile: Don’t get me wrong, you can actually run a profitable streaming music business (we do) but with an abundance of content already available and big names fighting for each pair of eyeballs you have to come up with something new and appealing. And in the event of micro payments it needs to scale.

Hope this helps / gives you some food for thought.

Kind regards, hessel

2 Likes

I think the listener should be empowered to decide whether to pay and, to a certain extent, how much. There are problems with paying out per views. What constitutes a “view” - do the have to watch/listen to the whole thing? 50%? 60%? What if I one person is willing to pay $1 and another $5? If the rate is set constant, then the creators could be losing out. Adding the ability to tip on content helps solves these issues.

1 Like