These ideas could pique your interest

Hello everyone!

A quick disclaimer, since this is my first post/I’m a new user, I’m limited to 1 image and 2 links in this post. Please check out the linked blog posts for more info and pictures!

@elliot and I have been working on the Grant for the Web X DEV hackathon–there’s still a few days left if you want to participate! Deadline is June 5th.

Last week, we wrote a couple of blog posts on DEV about our design thinking/ideation process and ideas we came up with/problems we faced.

For your consideration, these are the fruits of our ideation process, grouped by similar concept:

These were our top 3 ideas, which we have also left behind as they’re not quite feasible for us to develop for the hackathon.
<more images of our process in blog post: our design thinking/ideation process>

Money stream visualization

A Web Monetization enabled website could include a visualization of all the different streams of money being sent to the website. Each visitor could be represented by a colored shape. If a visitor is streaming money to the website using Web Monetization, $s could flow out of the shape representing the visitor. If there were a ton of people streaming, there would be a ton of $s flying across the screen! The speed at which the $s flow out could represent the payment stream rate, e.g. how much money is being sent per second.

<image of idea in blog post: ideas we came up with/problems we faced>

It would be possible to implement this visualization by using the Web Monetization JavaScript API. On the frontend of a website, The JavaScript API would collect information about whether a user is streaming money or not. That information would then be sent to a backend server which can keep track of the money-streaming data of all users on the website. The backend would then send all the data to the frontend to be visualized.

This idea would provide a visual way for website users to get excited about and engage with Web Monetization! When people see a cool visualization, they might be interested in learning more about what it is communicating. It would be important to provide links to resources and information about Web Monetization so interested people could learn more and become part of the Web Monetization community.

Additionally, the idea of streaming money is new and may be a bit tricky for people to wrap their heads around (we thought it was tricky!). Seeing a visualization might help newcomers understand what it means to stream money over the web!

Live event platform

Attending events in-person can be a lot of fun, but unfortunately most in-person events in the near future have been cancelled. An online event platform could fill this gap and enable people from across the world to attend events together. Charity and fundraiser events can be a great way to connect with a community of like-minded people, have a good time socializing, and contribute to something meaningful.

With the power of Web Monetization, online charity and fundraiser events could easily be created. Just by attending and spending time at an event, a person using a Web Monetization provider would automatically be contributing to the cause supported by the event.

A website with a central fund which is distributed based on merit

Here’s the idea: website users stream payments to the website using Web Monetization. As they spend time on the website, the streamed payments are collected into a central fund. Then, the money is distributed to contributors based on some measurement of merit. This would help promote quality contributions by rewarding the contributors who put in the effort in a more tangible way…money!

For example, StackOverflow could collect streamed payment from its users. All the money collected could be given back to the best-rated accepted answers on the platform. Bonus idea: What if every time you upvoted an answer on StackOverflow you sent a microdonation? This would allow you to give the answer’s author a small gesture of appreciation, with a bit more of a personal touch than an upvote on its own.

Thank you to @cyberdees for suggesting that we post our ideas on here. Although we’re not going ahead with them for the hackathon, maybe these are ideas that you can use or draw inspiration from.

If you have any questions for @elliot and I, please feel free to reach out!

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing all these great ideas @sharon! Hopefully others will be inspired by your ideation process.

2 Likes

Fun ideas! Thank you for sharing.

I particularly like the central fund for merit based distribution especially in the context of new social media platforms popping up.

I think there is too much reliance on “likes” at the moment which create vanity stats and can be gamed / influenced by bots. Rewarding users for creating better content, generating more engagement via comments, etc seems like a better way to handle social media “compensation”.

If these were the “left over” ideas, I look forward to seeing what it is you are actually pursuing!

2 Likes