Web Monetization details

I might have missed it but I’m missing some details on how it works. I’m a developer (also web developer) and I’ve read through a few of the posts here and talk to people about sites weekly and here’s all the questions that came to mind as I read:

Visitor Questions

• If I’m a visitor I pay an escrow service $5 a month (Coil?) or do I deposit a lump sum?
  • When I browse the web while I visit a site (that has monetization enabled) a small deposit is made?
  • Do I have to enable monetization on each site I visit or is it enabled by default?
  • The cable providers have gutted or are trying to gut net neutrality. Are the sites I visit or tip going to be stored or sold like many sites that sell a persons private data now?
  • How much is donated per hour or minute?
  • If I leave the browser window open (does it keep adding up)?
  • Is there a max donation per site I can set?
  • Can I accidentally go over my budget and owe?
  • Is it opt in per site?
  • Can a site block me if I don’t choose to monetize or only allow me entrance if I enable it?
  • Can I donate to a user on that site (say a content creator) and not the site itself?
  • Can I donate anonymously?

Developer Questions
As a site or individual to monetize I have to create an account at Coil and place the embed code (meta tag) on my page and then when web monetization is supported I’ll start receiving (micro)payments from my visitors?

• Can someone tip me more than the hourly rate?
  • Can someone pay for one of my products through it?
  • If I’m a social media like site can someone pay one of my users through it (forum moderator)?
  • Can I change the requested rate for certain content? The user will get a prompt?
  • The EU privacy laws indicate a company not storing user details or disclosing when it does. Do I see the users details from monetization or is it anonymous? As a content creator I want to focus on creating content. Not storing or retaining user details. I have created products that I may need to deliver or know they have purchased support.
1 Like

Hello thanks for the interest here are responses on the visitor questions:

Visitor Questions

If I’m a visitor I pay an escrow service $5 a month (Coil?) or do I deposit a lump sum? You subscribe for $5 a month to the service (Coil) and that is billed monthly.

When I browse the web while I visit a site (that has monetization enabled) a small deposit is made? You turn on a streaming micropayments, like packets of money rather then info/data. Like opening a connection between you and the web monetized content. Both of you need to be web monetized.

Do I have to enable monetization on each site I visit or is it enabled by default? If they are set-up and you visit your are enabled by default

The cable providers have gutted or are trying to gut net neutrality. Are the sites I visit or tip going to be stored or sold like many sites that sell a persons private data now? Coil doesn’t store/sell but can’t speak to the content websites. Grant for the Web will only make grants to content creators that will agree to not do these things. The big hypothesis (long way from reality currently) is that web monetization at scale would lessen the motivation/need to profit from repackaged data.

How much is donated per hour or minute? In general practice or are you looking for totals?

If I leave the browser window open (does it keep adding up)? No Coil can see a lack of activity and payments will stop

Is there a max donation per site I can set? No not as of yet

Can I accidentally go over my budget and owe? **No the $5 is a subscription to the service not an amount you are pledging. You can not be charged more.strong text

Is it opt in per site? Not as of now, but this level of user agency are what we hope to see grow by Coil and others experimenting with the standard and protocol.

Can a site block me if I don’t choose to monetize or only allow me entrance if I enable it? Not as of now, but we are working with people on exploring this issue.

Can I donate to a user on that site (say a content creator) and not the site itself? Not with Coil as of now, that would be a different business model then what they are experimenting with. But the standard and protocol should allow others to build additional tools and models. Grant for the Web is interested in funding these ideas. You might want to look into XRP Tip Bot and how that works more like how you describe.

Can I donate anonymously With coil streaming micropayments they are already anonymous and not a donation in the way you describe.

Let me know if that is helpful, I will collect answers on your developer questions and respond in a different post. Thanks so much for your engagement!

2 Likes

I might have figured it out. The math needs to be double checked (obviously).

If you pay $5 a month and the site receives a payment per second and you can’t go over that $5 and time is divided up evenly a site will receive .0002 cents per second:

rate per second = $5 / (30.4 day month * 24 hours * 60 minutes * 60 seconds)
rate per second = 500 cents / 2,628,000 seconds in a month
rate per second = .00019026 of a cent per second from $5 subscription

rate per minute = 500 cents / 43,776 minutes per month
rate per minute = .01142 cents

rate per hour = 500 cents / (30.4 days * 24 hours per month)
rate per hour = 500 cents / 729.6 hours per month
rate per hour = .6853 cents (about 3/4th’s of a cent)

time to make a penny = 1 cent / .0002 cents per second
seconds to make a penny = 5000 seconds
minutes to make a penny = 83.33 minutes (5000 seconds / 60 seconds per minute)
hours to make a penny = 1 hour and 23 minutes (83.33 minutes / 60 minute per hour)

time to make a dollar = 100 cent / .0002 rate per second
seconds to make a dollar = 500,000 seconds
minutes to make a dollar = 8,333.33 minutes (500,000 seconds / 60 seconds per minute)
hours to make a dollar = 138.88 hours (8,333.33 minutes / 60 minutes per hour)
days to make a dollar = 5.78 days (8,333.33 minutes / 24 hours per day)

number of visitors to make one cent from 1 minute of content
visitors = 1 / 60 seconds * .0002 cents per second

To make $1 from 1 minute of content I would have to have 8,333 reads. (100 cents / .0002 per second / 60 seconds = 8,333 viewers).

If the payments are spread out evenly between sites at a variable rate then obviously then the content creator receives a different amount. For example, if you visit 1 site for the month and your subscription is $5 a month and you want an even distribution rate among visited sites then that site get the full $5. If you visit 2 sites spending the same amount on each then those two sites get $2.5 each.

I’ll have to double check the math.

More questions:

• Does the payment to Coil roll over if you don’t use it? For example, if you don’t visit the internet one month do you have $5 extra credit the next month?
  • Does the payment get spread out evenly between visited sites increasing the payment amount or is it set at the rate above? If you visit 1 site for the month does that site get the full $5? If you visit 2 sites an equal amount of time do those two sites get $2.5 each?
  • Can a visitor increase their subscription amount? Let’s say there is a $10 a month plan. Then the amount to content creators is doubled obviously.
  • Can a visitor give a higher pay rate to specific sites?

PS I can make more stuff like this (and a web calculator) with help from the Grant. :slight_smile:
This took me 2 hours. If 10 people read it at the web monetization rate above I’d have made .06 cents (.0002 cents per second * 30 seconds to read * 10 viewers).