Web Monetization vs Web Payments?

So I have to set up, manage, and use 2 entirely different systems in order to “stream” micro payments, or to purchase a $20 t-shirt?

Is the intent to charge someone per second?

I read the https://webmonetization.org/ and interledger protocol websites, and I’m really confused.

I believe in simplicity. We need simple payments for the web. I’m not sure why so much focus is being put on these realtime streaming payments before we have simple one-time payments.

4 Likes

Hi @beeblebrox

Great question! I am going to preface this with saying that I am not sure on the scope of Grant for the Web with regards to Web Payments. That is something someone else would have to answer. There could be use cases where discrete mini-payments (less than $1) could make sense. It will be interesting to see how the GftW handles this. But I guess that is part of the reason for the Grant :grinning: To discover and explore these use cases

From an Interledger perspective, discrete web payments is something my team is actively doing work on right now. We are hopefully close to having something we can share with the community.

This is the beauty of the Interledger network. It has such versatility to enable various use cases.

Matt

1 Like

We need… simple one-time payments

See Tipalink.

This is indeed the type of questions and solutions we hope to see through the grant making and network that will emerge around it