Will changes at Mozilla impact GFTW?

Hi,

Given the current news of Mozilla firing a significant part of their staff, I was wondering if and how will this impact GFTW.

I don’t know if anyone else is on the same boat, but so far I haven’t heard anything back about my application and we’re approaching the 8-week deadline. So, I was wondering if this sad news also affects GFTW.

Thanks,
Rute

I don’t think this will affect the Grant for the Web program, since there’s dedicated staff for it, and Mozilla is more of an advisor. Let’s wait for some official confirmations though.

2 Likes

Hello Rute, let me respond to a few of your questions.

1. We are still in the judging process for the applications, and have stated we will be notifying applicants in September. Everything with the CFPs is on-track and ongoing.

2. The Mozilla Corporation layoffs do not directly impact GftW. Actually it is the Mozilla Foundation who is the collaborating partner on GftW and their is no change to any of the operations, charter or programming of GftW.

5 Likes

@end3r this is basically correct. Our collaboreatin partner is the Mozilla Foundation, which was not directly impacted by the lay-offs. All is status quo with GftW.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the replies, @end3r and @Chris_Lawrence :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@aariops speaking on behalf of the Mozilla Foundation, and echoing what @Chris_Lawrence shared, the recent restructuring at Mozilla does not impact our work on or commitment to Grant for the Web.

7 Likes

Thanks for the update, @Chris_Lawrence and @janicewait. And thanks for asking the question, Rute, I too was curious as to the status of everything.